Re: Storing Binary Large Objects

From: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Rich Shepard" <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing Binary Large Objects
Date: 2007-03-29 00:25:25
Lists: pdxpug
On 3/28/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Mark Wong wrote:
> > If memory serves, there are two types: bytea and oid.
> Mark,
>    I thought that each table row was assigned an internal oid, and this was
> not dumped and restored in the same order. That's why I thought the advice
> to not use oids as keys made sense.

I believe the main difference is that one is a datatype the other is
the name of the table's column of row id's.  So another difference
between using oid and bytea is that to insert a large object into the
database using the oid datatype requires the use of special large
object functions.  You can't simply insert escaped data, while you can
with a bytea datatype.