Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-26 16:38:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Chris Travers wrote:
> I second that. I have not found *anybody* who has used Oracle's
> installer to install the actual database server on Linux or Solaris
who
> has described their installation proceedure as either "nice" or
"easy."
> In fact even reading the installation isntructions is enough to give
you
> second thoughts.... MS SQL does have a nice installer, however, as do
> most binary open source products for Windows. I am completely
confident
> that PostgreSQL for Windows, when it arrives, will have a nice
GUI-based
> installer.

There is already one in development that does pretty much everything one
would expect.

MS SQL server is as simple as it is because it is very tightly
integrated with the virtual memory subsystem that drives the OS (no
equivalent to shared buffers setting). This provides good performance
but it is not really possible to do this in a cross platform kind of
way. Furthermore, apps that do not play nice with the v-mem subsystem
can wreck your server by causing it to thrash...in short, maybe their
installation is a little bit *too* simple...

Merlin