Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW

From: Zeugswetter Andreas OSB sIT <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: Add columns via CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW
Date: 2008-08-08 10:12:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If you accept the idea that column identity should be based on column
> name, then the only two operations that are really necessary are
> "CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW" and "ALTER VIEW RENAME COLUMN", and it is
> 100% clear what the semantics of those operations should be.

+1

I think this would be an easily useable and understandable concept.
I also fully support Robert's reasoning in his next reply to Tom,
detailing why his patch's provided functionality is acceptable.

Andreas

PS: "alter view" in O does not change the base definition,
it only allows modifying view constraints.