Idle connections - Too many clients connected already

From: "Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Idle connections - Too many clients connected already
Date: 2004-01-22 06:57:58
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hello,

After using Postgresql for a while, through ODBC / MS Access, I'm not
able to connect to the server anymore. The server reports "Too many
clients connected already".

With a "ps -afx", I can see a lot of idle postgresql connections on the
server, which correspond for sure to ODBC connections that haven't been
closed properly, and that remain opened. Stopping and restarting the
server solves the problem.

Is there a way to avoid that? I cannot certifiy that clients will always
close their connexions in a clean way. So, is the server able to check
if clients are still alive, and close their connection if it's not the
case?

Thanks

Philippe

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2004-01-22 08:48:00