Re: BUG #1983: Installation fails when Windows user principal is member of local Administrators group

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Jochen Sauter" <jochen(dot)sauter(at)rsd(dot)rohde-schwarz(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1983: Installation fails when Windows user principal is member of local Administrators group
Date: 2005-10-21 14:08:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 1983
> Logged by: Jochen Sauter
> Email address: jochen(dot)sauter(at)rsd(dot)rohde-schwarz(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
> Operating system: Windows 2000 / XP
> principal is member
> of local Administrators group
> Details:
>
> Our company-internal PC installation has a Windows user
> principal "Interactive" as member of the local Administrators
> group per default. On such PCs, the installation of Postgres
> 8.0 fails with a security warning.
>
> What is the reason for this warning?

Your company internal PC installation is *severly* broken. You need to
fix that. Not just for PostgreSQL, but in general.

> Is it possible to allow the installation anyway even with the warning?

No. Not unless you get the source, remove the security check, and
rebuild manually. Beware that you are not really using PostgreSQL the
way it's supposed to be used then, so you're highly recommended not to
do that.

> Is there any way to suppress the warning during installation?

It's not a warning, it's an error.

> This is an urgent problem that we currently have which might
> prevent us from using Posgres in our software products in the future.

For more reference, see the FAQ question 2.3:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#2.3

//Magnus