Re: Socket problem using beta2 on Windows-XP

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Socket problem using beta2 on Windows-XP
Date: 2005-09-30 14:13:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > If it's two zombies per minute, then I bet it's the stat
> collector and
> > stat bufferer.  They are restarted by the postmaster if not
> found to
> > be running.
>
> That would make some sense, because the stat processes need
> to set up new sockets (for the pipe between them).  The
> autovacuum theory didn't hold any water in my eyes because
> autovacuum doesn't create any new sockets.
>
> However, why two zombies?  That would mean that the
> grandchild process started, which should mean that the pipe
> was already created ...
>
> Does Windows have any equivalent of strace whereby we could
> watch what's happening during stats process launch?

First of all, I won't be able to dig into this any more until next week
- sorry about that. But others are always free to :-)

There is no strace equivalent builtin, but you can get an addon from
http://www.bindview.com/Services/RAZOR/Utilities/Windows/strace_readme.c
fm. Don't put it on a production box permanently, though, it tends to
cause BSODs in some cases.

//Magnus

Next:From: Tony CadutoDate: 2005-09-30 15:20:34