Re: Install as program

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Brian J(dot) Erickson" <ericksbr(at)infocon-inc(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Install as program
Date: 2005-05-12 08:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> When PostgreSQL is installed as a program, the install does
> not ask for a user name or password.

Correct. This is because it doesn't do an initdb. You are required to do
this manually

> How does someone connect to the Database Server, without a
> user name or password, especially, if the database server has
> no accounts?

These are set when you run "initdb". I beleive if you don't specify
anything at all, you will get:
1) The same username as the windows username used to run initdb
2) No password
3) Trust authentication

> BTW: I did "start database" and the database server
>          was running.

If you did this without doing initdb, it means you had an old data
directory aronud. In which case the password will be whatever you
assigned that installation.

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Previous:From: Brian J. EricksonDate: 2005-05-11 23:24:26
Subject: Install as program