Re: Install as program

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Brian J(dot) Erickson" <ericksbr(at)infocon-inc(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Install as program
Date: 2005-05-12 08:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> When PostgreSQL is installed as a program, the install does
> not ask for a user name or password.

Correct. This is because it doesn't do an initdb. You are required to do
this manually

> How does someone connect to the Database Server, without a
> user name or password, especially, if the database server has
> no accounts?

These are set when you run "initdb". I beleive if you don't specify
anything at all, you will get:
1) The same username as the windows username used to run initdb
2) No password
3) Trust authentication

> BTW: I did "start database" and the database server
>          was running.

If you did this without doing initdb, it means you had an old data
directory aronud. In which case the password will be whatever you
assigned that installation.

//Magnus

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Previous:From: Brian J. EricksonDate: 2005-05-11 23:24:26
Subject: Install as program