Re: Language issues in pgAdmin 1.2.0 beta

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Language issues in pgAdmin 1.2.0 beta
Date: 2004-10-14 10:35:44
Lists: pgadmin-support

> > Hi!
> >
> > When installing and running 1.2.0 beta (Sep 24 2004), I notice the
> > following language/translation related issues:
> >
> > * PgAdmin comes up in Swedish by default. My Windows XP is english
> > version, no languagepacks installed. It's set to use English by
> > default in programs. The only thing that's swedish is the
> timezone and currency.
>
> Your locale is obviously set to Swedish, so it's correct for
> pgAdmin to come up swedish initially. W do can't detect the
> language of the OS version.

Well, the locale settings per what you'd send to setlocale() (though
it's not handled that way, but the corresponding settings to show you
what I mean) are:
LC_COLLATE Swedish
LC_CTYPE Swedish
LC_MESSAGES English
LC_MONETARY Swedish
LC_NUMERIC Swedish
LC_TIME Swedish

So you're somehow picking up the wrong locale setting. Probably because
the setlocale() call itself doesn't support LC_MESSAGES, you need to use
GetUserDefaultUILanguage() for this.

On my system this returns 1033, which is US English. (Swedish would be
1053). THere is also a GetSystemDefaultUILanguage(), but that one also
returns 1033 on my system.

GetUserDefaultLangId() returns 1053, and you appear to be using this one
instead of the UI language one.

> > * The Swedish translation is incomplete, making it look really bad.
> > When it comes to release time, you should probably only ship
> > translations that are actually complete. Half english/half
> swedish is
> > not a pretty sight.
>
> Unfortunately Swedish is one of the language that's orphaned,
> i.e. the previous language maintainer can't continue the
> work. Do you know somebody who could do that? About 250
> strings are left, easy work with poedit.

Yup, I noticed that one. Don't know anyone offhand. Dave alreayd asked
me, but I don't think I'll have the time to do it myself. I'll see if I
can find someone.

> It's not been finally decided whether to ship those
> incomplete languages or not. Currently, we'd lose about 12
> languages we had been shipping with V1.0. Incomplete
> languages might force users to complain about it, which in
> turn might bring up the chance to gain them for translation work.

Non-existant langauges might for the same thing :-)
How about a limit that says it doesn't have to be 100%, but it has to be
close, and it has to be actively maintained.

This is especially important if you continue to pick the wrong language
by default, in which case it will default to something broken. If I pick
it actively, then I'm more likely to accept it being broken and just
change back.

//Magnus