A new beta-release of the win32 gui installer has been uploaded to
Postgresql is the snapshot from 20040731, with the win32 versioning/icon
patch added, as well as the initdb auth patch (in the patch queue).
Changes since last beta includes:
* PgAdmin shortcuts are now predictably created.
* Startmenu shortcuts are added to start and stop the database (pg_ctl
or service depending on install method)
* Service is set for automatic start instead of manual
* Default encoding is now UNICODE
* There is a base feature with a base directory so the install root can
be changed at one place
* The Next button is now always activated and a popup is shown if the
specified passwords don't match. Workaround the fact that the activation
required the password field to be de-focused before it happened.
* A warning is shown if a service is installed without running initdb
when there is no database in the directory already.
* The installer now verifies that the user specified has Log on as a
service right, and optionally grants it.
* The installer now verifies that the user specified is not an
administrative user, and refuses to continue if it is.
* The installer now optionally creates a user account (with an optional
random password) for the service.
Plus a few other minor things.
This addresses many of the issues brought up since the last beta, but
not all. Please see the trackers on pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller
for status on the other items, or to add new items.
If you are upgrading from the previous snapshot, you'll have to
uninstall the old version first. You can do this from Add/Remove
progrmas, or by running "msiexec /x postgresql-7.5-devel.msi" on the
commandline. This will not remove the data directory.
You can run the new version on the same data directory, but we'd
appreciate testing of clean installations anyway. In that case,
pg_dump/reload and manual removal of the data directory is needed. (Full
testing would also require removal/recreation of the service account, of
As before, please post your feedback to the mailinglist on
pgfoundry.org, or use the trackers.
And thanks for all the feedback on the first beta!
//Magnus & Dave
pgsql-hackers-win32 by date
|Next:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2004-08-01 01:57:33|
|Subject: Re: New pginstaller beta|
|Previous:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2004-07-31 06:21:14|
|Subject: Re: Borland c++ compile problems...|