Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Claudio Natoli" <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure " <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers-win32 " <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-15 09:04:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Well, the $64 questions that have not been answered are what
> are the license terms and redistribution terms for SFU? If
> we can bundle the needed parts of SFU into a binary
> distribution of Postgres, then there is no need for users to
> be aware it is in there. If we can't, then I agree that a
> port based on it would be about as hard to sell as the Cygwin
> port. (Yeah, maybe it'd be more stable and faster, but it'd
> not be perceived as a native port.)

I see the following in the MS newsgroups about the licensing:

1) sfu3.5 is still a licensed product, even though it is free.
The license details are on the distribution ( doc/eula.txt).
As far as I know, MS is not allowing re-distribution of SFU
components.

There is an ISV program for those that want to embed the Interix
subsytem
and/or utils into their product. You'll need to contact Interop
Systems about that.

This rules out integrated installer, if you can't redist..

The referenced EULA in the Beta is unfortunatly for the beta version
only (it's filled with info that the berta can only be used for testing
and demonstrati9on, will expire etc)
I'll see if I can get hold of the final EULA from our MS reps, but I
wouldn't be surprised if I can't...

//Magnus