Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure

From: Don Parris <gnumathetes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PGSQL-Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure
Date: 2005-07-14 05:55:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

Greetings,

I'm coming over from MySQL. I'm running SUSE Linux 9.2, running PGSQL 7.4.8.

In MySQL, I could use a simple batch file to run all my table creation
statements:
mysql -u user -p mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql

Is this possible with PGSQL? Can I do this, for instance:
psql -W mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql

and get all my tables created?

Or is this why there are a dozen languages for server programming? If
redirecting the input from a batchfile is possible, please point me to
the right documentation.. If not, I'll go back to the languages
section of the manual. Many thanks in advance.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/