Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure

From: Don Parris <gnumathetes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PGSQL-Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using Batch Files to Create DB Structure
Date: 2005-07-14 05:55:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm coming over from MySQL.  I'm running SUSE Linux 9.2, running PGSQL 7.4.8.

In MySQL, I could use a simple batch file to run all my table creation
mysql -u user -p mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql

Is this possible with PGSQL?  Can I do this, for instance:
psql -W mydb < /file/path/batchfile.sql

and get all my tables created?

Or is this why there are a dozen languages for server programming?  If
redirecting the input from a batchfile is possible, please point me to
the right documentation..  If not, I'll go back to the languages
section of the manual.  Many thanks in advance.

DC Parris GNU Evangelist
Free software is like God's love -

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Kirsten WahlstromDate: 2005-07-14 07:05:31