Re: Trouble installing Drupal 5 using sockets (a little long)

From: Bryan <brakeb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Frank Bax" <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: "PostgreSQL List - Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Drupal 5 using sockets (a little long)
Date: 2008-08-23 22:40:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect you might need to create a symbolic link from one to the other;
>>> but I don't know where the "real" one should be. Perhaps someone else
>>> knows
>>> that.
>>
>> But, the database starts and sees the socket, what part of pgsql is
>> not seeing the socket? Could the fact that I did the "initdb" without
>> the /var/www/tmp socket be causing the issue? Pgsql d
>

> The database SERVER creates the socket, so of course it can see it; the
> problem is that your database CLIENTS do not see the socket.
>
> When you run createuser and createdb; you are running client interfaces
> which expect to communicate with the PG server via the socket at /tmp/ but
> that's not where it is; it is created in /var/www/tmp/ everytime the PG
> server is started. The conf file tells PG server where to create the
> socket; not where the clients should look for it.
>
> Yes, I presented a workaround. I also suggested that the proper permanent
> solution is to include creation of a symbolic link on every boot; which I
> don't have the proper syntax for since I've never used it (I chose to
> disable chroot instead). Here's my guess at command you need to add to
> startup:
>
> ln /var/www/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

Frank, et al...

I just wanted to give an update. I was able to successfully install
Drupal with pgsql. The problem still stands though. I can make it
work with apache not chrooted. I ran apache not chrooted and was able
to install the DB, do the initial setup for Drupal, and create user#1.

Now, as to the socket, postgresql puts the socket in /tmp. You cannot
make a symbolic link from /tmp to /var/www/tmp. You receive a "cross
link device" error. I did attempt to put the socket in
/var/postgresql/data, and make the link to
/var/www/var/postgresql/data. I rebooted the box (to enable the
chrooting of apache). Everything starts, but Drupal is unable to
connect to the database.

I intend to continue to play around, but I'd rather not have to run
apache in a way that it was not intended to run. I would like the
extra security.

Bryan