Re: debug a mess

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debug a mess
Date: 2003-02-26 21:34:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com> writes:
> Where is postmaster log? I found a new file in /var/log/pgsql. I put
> log_connections = yes and syslog = 2 into my postgresql.conf file and expect
> something to happen. Restarted postgresql service on my redhat 7.3 box and
> tried a couple of queries with psql utility. Nothing seemed to have been
> logged in /var/log/pgsql.

If you want to use syslog then you'd better be sure that syslogd is
configured to do something useful with Postgres messages, and not just
drop 'em on the floor.

If you want to use stderr, look at the start script. Some distros
provide Postgres start scripts that route the postmaster's stderr to
/dev/null --- either explicitly, or by using the infamous -S switch.