Re: Initial review of xslt with no limits patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mike Fowler <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initial review of xslt with no limits patch
Date: 2010-08-09 03:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Mike Fowler <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com> wrote:
>> 1) XML2 is largely undocumented, giving rise to the problems encountered.
>> Since the module is deprecated anyways, does it make more sense to get xslt
>> handling moved into core and get it fully documented?

> Yes, I think that would be better.

I'm hesitant to consider pulling this into core when there's so little
consensus on how it ought to act.  It'd be better to have a solid,
widely used contrib module *first*, rather than imagine that pulling it
into core is somehow a cure for its problems.

>> 2) Pavel's regression test exposes a bug in libxslt. The stylesheet declares
>> 5 parameters, but uses 12. Simplifying, take the stylesheet:

> I'm not sure whether there's anything we can do about this.

We should file a bug report with the libxslt authors, obviously.