Re: domains, types, constraints

From: Andrew Winkler <the_andrew_winkler(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: domains, types, constraints
Date: 2008-01-17 16:23:41
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thanks for responding. Here's a simple example of the kind of thing I'm trying to do:

postgres=# drop type complex;
DROP TYPE
postgres=# create type complex as (r numeric, i numeric);
CREATE TYPE
postgres=# create domain unitary as complex;
ERROR:  "complex" is not a valid base type for a domain
postgres=#

The idea in this example would be to create a domain of complex numbers where
r*r + i*i is not zero.

Are composite types not useable for domains?