Re: Questions about server.

From: "Daniel T(dot) Staal" <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions about server.
Date: 2005-12-21 17:13:06
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tue, December 20, 2005 9:46 pm, max chin said:

> 1.)  What I knew is when too many users access a database at the same
> time, it will slow down database server process. My question is how to
> make database server process more faster even if a lot of users access
> information in database at the same time? What kind of technology is
> needed to help database server process more faster ?

More RAM, and faster hard drives top the list.  A good CPU is nice, but
bump RAM and hard drives first.

(Which would make more difference depends on your situation.)

> 2.) In my company, database server and web server are store inside a
> machine. My question is how to separate database server and web server
> from one machine to two machine? I mean how those 2 server within one
> machine will be separated become 1 server within one machine, another
> server within one another machine. Can you show me the way or process of
> implementation?

I'll let someone else answer this, but it is fairly simple in theory.
Depending on your setup, it may only be a single configuration setting.

Of course, that means it depends a lot on what processes are doing the
communication, and how they are configured.

> 3.) How to back up automatically database information from host machine
> to another machine every one hour and everytime update database
> informations is done?

There are various ways to do this.  You could do a regular pg_dump on a
cron schedule.  You could use triggers with pgsql to automatically update
a concurrent database.  You could build a distributed database, in a
master/slave configuration.  Your best choice depends on your needs.

> 4.) Sometimes IIS web server is unavailable and the web pages can' t
> display for clients. Can you tell me the reasons and the methods to
> overcome the problems?

Sorry, don't know a thing about IIS.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.