Re: Many persistant client connections

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Many persistant client connections
Date: 2005-03-30 15:36:33
Lists: pgsql-admin
lst_hoe01(at)kwsoft(dot)de writes:
> i would like to know if there is something like the Oracle "shared
> server" possible with PostgreSQL. I have searched the archives but
> have not found any real discussion regarding this.
>
> We have two CTI applications opening 2-3 persistant connections to
> the address server (PostgreSQL). With 100 clients we get around 400
> persistant connections eating up the server memory and have nothing
> to work most of the time.

Sounds like a case for looking into pgpool...

  <http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgpool/>

pgpool is a connection pool system implemented in C that can allow
sharing of connections for many cases like the one you describe.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/postgresql.html