Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL
Date: 2006-02-21 04:19:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> writes:
> And with InnoDB they can claim Sabre / Travelocity, etc.

I'm not sure that's actually the case.  The impression I get (and I
have declined to ask my "inside contact" on this ;-)) is that they are
using MySQL for catalog cacheing applications where transactions
aren't so necessary.

(In other matters, I haven't heard any stories of either company
dropping Oracle instances, and my "inside contact" has periodically
been picking my brain on PostgreSQL tuning ;-).)

On another note, it appears that "The Empire Strikes Back."

Apparently Jim Starkey, original InterBase implementor, has had his
company, <>, bought out by MySQL AB...
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || '';
Pagers are cases for holding dead batteries. -Richard Wolff