Re: how do i kill user sessions?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do i kill user sessions?
Date: 2005-05-11 22:49:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com (Scott Marlowe) writes:

> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 15:08, Ing. Jhon Carrillo wrote:
>> I have a problem with the users administration. When I want to erase
>> (drop) some databases there's an error: ** database "name_db" is being
>> accessed by other users.** I want to kill the user sessions conected
>> but i don't know how to do it (Kill the user sessions).
>
> First, use ps to find the pid of the offending users. for instance:
>
> ps ax|grep postgres|grep test
> 18925 pts/1 S 0:00 postgres: postgres test [local] idle
>
> then, as the postgres superuser, kill the backend:
>
> kill 18925

You may want to be careful about what signal you submit.

If you do "kill -9", for instance, that may be a more severe
"thwacking" of the system than you intended.

Hitting it with "kill -2" is usually the right answer; that's SIGINT.

Other signals may cause the database to kill ALL the backends.
"kill -3", for instance...

"kill -9" will terminate the whole database system, 'with extreme
prejudice,' which will be quite likely to turn out badly :-(.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html