Re: Ammunition

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ammunition
Date: 2003-08-14 00:14:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> To me, the big MySQL issue is that it isn't an open source
> development project, just a company that distributes code via open
> source.  They will never be able to keep up with us.

I found the quote from Scott McNealy most ironic:

http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,78443,00.html

"If you want to save...money, make the default database MySQL. It's
free, it's bundled [with Sun's Solaris software], you've got the whole
open-source community working on making it better. If Yahoo and Google
can run their entire operations on MySQL, then certainly there's a
huge chunk of your operations that could run on it as well."

There lies a good question...

How many "open source" developers are _actually_ working on MySQL?

If Scott McNealy is right, then who are those scads of people
committing code to the tree?   :-)
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linux.html