Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-29 22:06:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) writes:
> As I said originally, we have no expectation that the proposed features
> will displace the existing replication projects for "high end"
> replication problems ... and I'd characterize all of Robert's concerns
> as "high end" problems. We are happy to let those be solved outside
> the core project.

I expect that one of the effects of having an "improved PITR" as a
'core' replication solution will be that Slony-I will become less
popular amongst "naive users," and that is *not* a bad thing. I am
quite sure that there are a lot of cases today where users would be
better served by what falls out of this.

It will mean that those that are left will, despite being fewer, be
more cognizant that they are getting what they require.

We should see somewhat fewer "expectation gaps," and that should allow
more people to be more satisfied with what they are getting.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/linux.html