Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning
Date: 2008-03-28 15:33:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
bruce(at)momjian(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> Added to TODO:
>
> * Allow one transaction to see tuples using the snapshot of another
>   transaction
>
>   This would assist multiple backends in working together.
>   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00400.php

FYI, code for this is presently available on pgFoundry, at:
   <http://pgfoundry.org/projects/snapclone/>.

I have some benchmarking scripts to commit to it, once I get added to
the project. (Simon?  :-))

FYI, preliminary testing, on a machine hooked up to an EMC CX700 disk
array is showing that, if I do concurrent dumps of 4 tables, it gives
a bit better than a 2x speedup over dumping the four tables serially,
so there's definitely some fruit here.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html