Re: Query progress indication - an implementation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query progress indication - an implementation
Date: 2009-06-29 18:21:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM, <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it> wrote:
> So the code that I have right now works "pretty well" for the 10 queries of my project, but I guess won't work for general queries :(

I think that's probably right.

>> So, I'm all in favor of what you're trying to conceptually;
>> I just
>> don't like your proposed implementation.
>
> What kind of implementation would you propose?

I don't really have a proposed implementation in mind; I think it's a
hard problem.  That's why I suggested looking at the
EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-in-progress stuff.  By providing a lot more detail, a
human being can take a look at that output and make a judgment about
what's going on.  That's not as easy-to-use as what you're trying to
do, but I suspect it's more useful in practice.  It might be that
after reading a few hundred of those someone could propose some rules
of thumb to estimate the percentage of completion, which we could then
incorporate back into the system.  If not, we lose nothing by
implementing that feature first, since it is independently useful.

> Thank you very much for your comments.

No problem.

...Robert