Re: bgwriter never dies

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bgwriter never dies
Date: 2004-02-26 05:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 04:01 PM 26/02/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>there is no basis for assuming that a postmaster failure has
>anything to do with problems at the backend level....So my
>opinion is that "kill all the backends when the postmaster
>crashes" is a bad idea

Sounds fine. Then a system that will allow a new PM to start ASAP and serve
other connections would be great. I assume that means an orderly shutdown &
restart, but I can't see a way to make the restart work.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \