Creating Functions in a Separate Schema

From: "Mark Dexter" <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating Functions in a Separate Schema
Date: 2004-08-24 17:46:58
Lists: pgsql-novice
Our application currently runs in SQL Server and we are porting it over
to Postgres.  When we write enbedded SQL queries for SQL Server, we need
to reference user-defined functions with the prefix "dbo." (e.g.,
"dbo.Function_Name()").  In experimenting with Postgres, it appears that
we can create a schema called "dbo" and then reference functions with
the same syntax (e.g., "dbo.Function_Name()").

We're trying to understand whether there will be any disadvantages to
doing this.  One issue we have discovered is that any public table or
view references in these functions need to explicitly use the "public."
prefix for the tables or views.  Are there any other issues or problems
with this approach?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Frank KurzawaDate: 2004-08-24 17:47:54