Calling Functions and Stored Procedures

From: "Mark Dexter" <MDEXTER(at)dexterchaney(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Calling Functions and Stored Procedures
Date: 2004-07-15 01:21:57
Lists: pgsql-novice
I understand that functions in Postgres server the purpose of both
functions and stored procedures in other db's (e.g., MSSQL and Oracle).
In these other databases, you call a stored procedure with different
syntax (e.g., CALL <procedure name>) instead of using it in line in a
SELECT statement.

My question is this:  If I write a Postgres function that is not
designed to be part of a query (e.g., it should just do something), do I
still use a SELECT statement to execute the function?  Is there some
other syntax that is the equivalent to CALL or EXEC?

Thanks for your help.

pgsql-novice by date