Re: New hardware thoughts

From: Ben Suffolk <ben(at)vanilla(dot)net>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New hardware thoughts
Date: 2006-10-20 18:34:30
Lists: pgsql-performance
> You mentioned a "Perc" controller, so I'll assume this is a Dell.
>
> My advice is to find another supplier. check the archives for Dell.
>
> Basically you have no idea what the Perc controller is since it is
> whatever Dell decides to ship that day.
>
> In general though you are going down the right path here. Disks
> first, memory second, cpu third
>
> Dave

Yes I am looking at either the 2950 or the 6850. I think the only
think that the 6850 really offers me over the 2950 is more
expandability in the spare processor, and additional memory
sockets. In all other respects the config I am looking at would fit
either chassis. Although the 2950, being slightly newer has the DRAC
5 (dells implementation of IPMI) management, which may be useful.

I hear what you say about the raid card, but how likely are they to
change it from the LSI Mega Raid one in reality? But I am open to
suggestions if you have any specific models from other manufacturers
I should look at. I do need to be able to get the fast hardware
support on it though that I can get from the likes of Dells 4 hours
on site call out, so rolling my own isn't an option on this one
really (unless it was so much cheaper I could have a hot standby or
at least a cupboard of all the needed parts instantly available to me)

Regards

Ben