Re: Queries

From: Christian Voelker <C(dot)Voelker(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Anindya Bhattacharyya <anindya(dot)bhattacharyya(at)cmcltd(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Queries
Date: 2008-01-22 17:46:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Am 21.01.2008 um 08:47 schrieb Anindya Bhattacharyya:

> Kindly let me know whether post GresSql

PostgreSQL or Postgres as an acceptable shorthand
(sorry for being picky with this, but there is a
lengthy discussion going on how to ensure that
related information is found)

> is capable of storing images

Yes. You might want to have a look at

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/largeobjects.html>

> and what is the maximum size of such images that the database can
> handle.

I dont know of a limit.

Storing BLOBs is a special topic. There are people
on this list who told they use it in production,
but I personally believe that you have to have a
very good reason to do so. Portability is not neces-
sarily one of them. There are abstraction layers
for using a separate bitstore within a filesystem
like Storage Resource Broker SRB so that you have
to store only the path in the db. DSpace is an
implementation example in Java for this approach.

> Also whether it is capable of biometric identifications

I cant imagine which datatype this should be exactly.
Maybe you define your own type? Look here:

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/datatype.html>
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-createtype.html>

Bye, Christian