Re: idea: global temp tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: idea: global temp tables
Date: 2009-04-28 17:00:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> However, if we're going to do that then we should start
>> throwing warnings for use of the keywords, preferably before the
>> release in which they actually start doing something different.

> We might actually want to have a major release which rejects the
> standard syntax before the release where we implement standard
> behavior for it.  (After, of course, a major release which issues the
> warning.)  When we get to the point of breaking existing code (which
> is inevitable if we move to compliance here), it's better to break in
> a clear and predictable way....

I was thinking in terms of throwing a warning in 8.4 and implementing
new behavior in 8.5.  An extra release only helps if you assume everyone
adopts that release at some point.  The number of questions we see about
multi-version jumps should disabuse people of the notion that everyone
does it that way ...