Re: pitr replica dies on startup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pitr replica dies on startup
Date: 2007-09-01 01:56:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> writes:
> That all seems reasonable enough.  Is it in the docs somewhere?  I
> didn't find anything like this mentioned.  If not, could we get it
> added as a note?

Yeah, it hadn't occurred to anyone to specify this, because we just
thought of recovery_command as fetching from a static archive.
We clearly need to document the expected semantics better.

I'm wondering whether we should discourage people from putting
side-effects into the recovery_command, period.  You already found out
that recovery can ask for the same file more than once, but what if it
never asks for a particular file at all?  I'm not sure that can happen,
just playing devil's advocate.

Simon, did you see this thread?  What do you think?