Re: Please advise features in 7.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Huttley" <John(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please advise features in 7.1
Date: 2000-11-23 06:05:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"John Huttley" <John(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> Reason: I want to know if any of these features are scheduled.

> 1. Calculated fields in table definitions . eg.

>    Create table test (
>             A Integer,
>             B integer,
>            the_sum   As  (A+B),
> );

You can do that now (and for many versions past) with a trigger.
It's not quite as convenient as it ought to be, but it's possible.
AFAIK there's no change in that situation for 7.1.

> 2. Any parameterised triggers

We've had parameterized triggers for years.  Maybe you attach some
meaning to that term beyond what I do?

> 3. Any parameterised stored procedures that return a result set.

There is some support (dating back to Berkeley Postquel) for functions
returning sets, but it's pretty ugly and limited.  Proper support might
happen in 7.2 ...