Re: beta2 or cvs?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta2 or cvs?
Date: 2004-09-15 17:58:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am intending using the latest and greatest postgresql to learn about
> how it works and where it is heading (the project I am on is in for
> the long haul, and won't need to be "in production" for months
> yet...), so is the best place to be for the time being cvs? I am
> running gentoo so we get the hottest of the press in terms of releases
> but would it be better to be even closer? I am not at all bothered
> about the odd bug, and would like to be involved in the testing
> process - a lot of projects just tell you to update to the latest cvs
> before reporting a bug, is that the general story here?

If it's convenient for you to pull from CVS, by all means do that.
Another option is to grab the nightly CVS-snapshot tarball from our ftp
servers (look in the dev/ directory).

If we were not in beta phase, I'd not necessarily recommend using CVS
;-) but since we are, CVS tip should theoretically be as or more stable
than the last beta.