The OS Command for pg_hotbackup -- Use lvmsnapshot instead of tar cvzf

From: "Arnold, Sandra" <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: The OS Command for pg_hotbackup -- Use lvmsnapshot instead of tar cvzf
Date: 2010-03-02 15:43:07
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I am currently using the pg_hotbackup Perl script to backup my production PostgreSQL database. However, the next production database is going to be close to a terrabyte in size. We feel that a tar cvzf command is not the correct OS backup solution to use. Instead we would like to use lvmsnapshot. Is anyone using the pg_hotbackup script but instead of the tar cvzf OS command are they using lvmsnapshot?

Or, is anyone using lvmsnapshot and doing point-in-time recoveries?

Thanks,

Sandra Arnold
Sr. Database Administrator
DOE/OSTI