What follows is the first draft of the public announcement of version 9.2beta. Please correct and help me improve the language of the announcement. Note that, since our beta announcements tend to get picked up by the press, it's a bit marketing-ish. That's on purpose.
The PostgreSQL Global Development Group announces the beta release of PostgreSQL 9.2, the next release of the world's most advanced relational database system. Version 9.2 will include major improvements in performance, vertical and horizontal scalability. The PostgreSQL project asks all users to download and begin testing PostgreSQL 9.2 beta as soon as possible.
Major performance and scalability advances ready to be tested in this version include:
* Index-only scans, allowing users to avoid expensive scans of slow-changing base tables
* Dramatially improved read-only workload scaling to 64 cores and over 300,000 queries per second
* Cascading replication, supporting rapid failover and geographically distributed standby databases
PostgreSQL 9.2 will also offer many new features for application developers, including:
* JSON data support, permitting building hybrid document-relational databases
* Range types, supporting new types of calendar, time-series and analytic applications
* Multiple improvments to make database migrations easier
For a full listing of the ready-to-test features in version 9.2 beta, please see the release notes [LINK].
We depend on our community test the next verson in order to guarantee that it is high-performance and bug-free. Please download PostgreSQL 9.2 Beta and try it with your workloads and applications as soon as you can, and give feedback to the PostgreSQL developers. More information on how to test and report issues in PostgreSQL is here [LINK].
PostgreSQL 9.2 beta, including binaries and installers for multiple platforms from our download page [LINK]. Full documentation of the new version is available online [LINK] and installs with PostgreSQL.
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
pgsql-advocacy by date
|Next:||From: Adrian Klaver||Date: 2012-05-06 20:34:12|
|Subject: Re: Draft of 9.2 beta announcement, please revise/improve|
|Previous:||From: Michael Alan Brewer||Date: 2012-05-03 14:48:47|
|Subject: Re: Need PG Geek in Charlotte|