Re: embedded list v3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: embedded list v3
Date: 2012-09-30 20:48:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Perhaps we need to decouple _Static_assert support from compound statement
> support at some point, but we will see.

Yeah, possibly, but until we have an example of a non-gcc-compatible
compiler that can do something equivalent, it's hard to guess how we
might need to alter the autoconf tests. Anyway the important thing
for now is the external specification of the macros, and I think we're
good on that (modulo any better naming suggestions).

I'm fairly sure there are already a few cases of Asserts on
compile-time-constant expressions, so I made sure that there was a layer
allowing access to _Static_assert without the type-compatibility code.
I didn't go looking for anything to convert, but I think there's some
in the shared memory initialization code.