Remote Connection to server: Connection Refused

From: Kavitha Parvataneni <kavip81(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Remote Connection to server: Connection Refused
Date: 2010-08-16 17:52:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am using Postgresql 8.4 on Ubunut 10.04
I am having trouble connecting a remote client to the Postgresql server running
on the Ubuntu 10.04 machine. I don’t have a problem opening a client connection
on the host machine.
I did the following changes :
In Postgresql.conf file :
listen_address = ‘*’
In pg_hba.conf file:
local  all   all                           md5
host   all   all        md5
I restarted the server after making these changes
 sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 restart
The remote client and  the host(postgresql server) are on the same network . I
can ping each other and they are communicating.
I checked if the server is running using the command from the terminal
sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 status
I got the following response:
Running clusters: 8.4/main
Please help me. What am I doing wrong?

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Rikard BosnjakovicDate: 2010-08-16 18:01:55