Re: How to copy a schema under another name in same database

From: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: "Daniel Gour" <Daniel(dot)Gour(at)adacel(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to copy a schema under another name in same database
Date: 2008-07-30 13:25:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Daniel,

I had a typo in the below that I just noticed. Should be I think - but
I'm sure I screwed up in other ways, but hopefully you get the idea.

FOR tbltocopy IN(SELECT table_name
FROM information_schema.tables
WHERE table_type = 'BASE TABLE' AND
table_schema = param_source_schema ORDER BY table_name)

EXECUTE('CREATE TABLE ' || param_dest_schema || '.' || tbltocopy
|| '( LIKE ' || param_source_schema || '.' || tbltocopy || ' INCLUDING
DEFAULT CONSTRAINTS INDEXES );
INSERT INTO ' || param_dest_schema || '.' || tbltocopy || ' SELECT *
FROM ' param_source_schema || '.' || tbltocopy || ';');

If you need to copy views as well, that's a bit trickier since I assume
you would want your views to reference the specific schema objects
within the destination schema not the source schema.

For that take a look at information_schema.views -- it has a field
called view_definition.

You could use that to build the view and then macro replace the
references to the schema with the new schema I guess.

Something like
DECLARE vwdef information_schema.views --this part is iffy not sure if
a type is created for information_schema stuff

FOR vwdef IN(SELECT *
FROM information_schema.views
WHERE
table_schema = param_source_schema ORDER BY table_name)

EXECUTE('CREATE VIEW ' || param_dest_schema || '.' ||
vwdef.table_name
|| '( AS ' || REPLACE(vwdef.view_definition, param_source_schema || '.',
param_dest_schema || '.')
|| ';');

Hope that helps,
Regina