Re: help with front/backend datatype converting

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: "Do, Leon (Leon)" <leondo(at)lucent(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: help with front/backend datatype converting
Date: 2006-11-10 21:15:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hi Leon,

No, currently there is no way to do this. It is possible, but this is
probably the worst data type to try this with. Postgresql has two
timestamp types, 1 with timezone, 1 without, jdbc has no knowledge of
this. Do you have suggestions on how to resolve this ? Also consider
the actual timezone, what if the timezone of the server is different
than the timezone of the client. To add to the problem, it is
possible for the server to keep dates/timestamps as 64bit integers,
or Floating point values. The client has to send the data in exactly
the right format.

Sorry to only outline the problems without constructive solutions.

Dave