Re: json api WIP patch

From: james <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: json api WIP patch
Date: 2013-01-08 06:45:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> The processing functions have been extended to provide populate_record() and populate_recordset() functions.The latter in particular could be useful in decomposing a piece of json representing an array of flat objects (a fairly common pattern) into a set of Postgres records in a single pass.

So this would allow an 'insert into ... select ... from
<unpack-the-JSON>(...)'?

I had been wondering how to do such an insertion efficiently in the
context of SPI, but it seems that there is no SPI_copy equiv that would
allow a query parse and plan to be avoided.

Is this mechanism likely to be as fast as we can get at the moment in
contexts where copy is not feasible?