Re: mysql proxy

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql proxy
Date: 2007-08-28 08:26:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

--On Montag, August 27, 2007 15:23:16 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> wrote:

> The idea
> of running scripts in between the "real" client and the database that
> is ostensibly handling the presumably valuable data makes me airsick.
> Anything that you could do in such a script, you could do with a
> stored procedure, and you'd get the benefits of ACID along with it.

I attended a talk at Froscon 2007 where Guiseppe Maxxia shows a "global log
server" as a use case for his proxy. In my opinion, it's because exactly of
this reason you are describing that this will never work reliably and i
can't think of any useful "production" use case where someone has a real
need for that.

--
Thanks

Bernd