Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL
Date: 2012-11-16 14:59:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> All you'd need is to add
>
> ApplySetting(InvalidOid, InvalidOid, relsetting, PGC_S_$SOMETHING);
>
> in postinit.c, and have some SQL command to modify this setting.

Alright, any suggestions for the syntax? We currently have

ALTER DATABASE ... SET ...
ALTER ROLE ... SET ...
ALTER ROLE ... IN DATABASE ... SET

I was thinking something like

ALTER ROLE ANY SET ...

in order to avoid creating a new top-level command, but it's not pretty.

Another way might be something like

SET GLOBAL name = value

but that would make the command very dissimilar from the other ones,
even though their effects are closely related.