Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL
Date: 2012-11-15 18:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> ApplySetting(InvalidOid, InvalidOid, relsetting, PGC_S_$SOMETHING);
>
> in postinit.c, and have some SQL command to modify this setting.
>
> The only thing you couldn't handle that way are SIGHUP settings, but the
> often-cited use cases work_mem, logging, etc. would work.
>
> There would also be the advantage that pg_dumpall would save these settings.

I think this is a great idea.

One caveat: we really, really, really need a system view which allows
DBAs to easily review settings defined for specific users and databases.
 Right now, it requires significant pg_catalog hacking expertise to pull
out user-specific settings.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.