Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "Fabien COELHO" <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 13:37:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
>> My goal is to have pg_autovacuum integrated into the backend for 7.5.
>
> I know about that, and that would be a good thing.

I hope so!

>> I don't know if it will default to being turned on or off, I'm sure that
>> will be a discussion, but if it is defaulted to on, then this whole
>> problem of having to train newbies about vacuum should just go away.
>
> Yes. I really thing that it should be on by default, because those who
> will need it more than others are those who will not know about tuning
> configuration parameters. As I understand the requirements from
> pg_autovacuum, it means that some statistics will have to be on by default
> as well.

I think it's premature to have this conversation.  I need to get something
done / working before we dicuss optimal configuration.  That said, I also
agree that if it's good enough, it should be on by default.

> Good luck;-)

Thanks, I'll need it....

Matthew

ps: I'm hoping to have time to work on this starting in May.  I haven't
really done any development on pg_autovacuum beyond bug fixing what is
already in CVS, so.... If someone out there wants to work on it, don't
wait for me, I won't be offended :-)  I just want to see it up and
running.