Re: 7.3 gotchas for applications and client libraries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3 gotchas for applications and client libraries
Date: 2002-09-03 13:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION column_exists(NAME, NAME) RETURNS BOOLEAN AS '

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION table_exists(NAME) RETURNS BOOLEAN AS '

> Obviously these need attention when our application targets 7.3 (and
> thanks for the heads-up), but all changes are localised.

They are? What will your policy be about schema names --- won't you
have to touch every caller to add a schema name parameter?

I'm not averse to trying to push logic over to the backend, but I think
the space of application requirements is wide enough that designing
general-purpose functions will be quite difficult.