Re: pgsql: Replace pgindent shell script with Perl script. Update perltidy

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Replace pgindent shell script with Perl script. Update perltidy
Date: 2012-08-04 21:38:51
Lists: pgsql-committers
On 08/04/2012 03:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> This version of pgindent is just about completely broken, so far as my
>> possibly-a-bit-hoary Perl (5.8.7) is concerned.  I think it could be
>> made more portable without too much effort, but I am wondering what the
>> heck "\h" is supposed to mean in a regex?
> After a bit of research I found that \h is a relatively recent
> abbreviation for "[ \t]".  After making that substitution, and getting
> rid of the rather gratuitous use of module Readonly, the script seems
> to work OK in a stock Perl 5.8.7 installation.
>
> I'm not sure if we have any project policy for minimum required Perl
> version, but I've not found that any of our other Perl scripts don't
> work with 5.8.  Should I commit these changes, or are you going to
> tell me I need a newer Perl?  And if the latter, what is our minimum
> supported version going to be?

Well, It's at least in 5.10.1 which dates from 3 years ago. I suspect
it's probably in 5.10.0 which dates from about 5 years ago. I guess this
is the danger of developing on modern systems :-) How old is the
compiler you use for everyday work?

If we keep it we should add a "require 5.10.1;" to the script.

But I don't have a great objection to replacing "\h" with "[ \t]" if
that's the preferred fix.

cheers

andrew