Re: pgAdmin3 doc location

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 doc location
Date: 2003-06-23 18:36:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

It's rumoured that Andreas Pflug once said:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>>Dunno, you wanted the web support for the help! If you want to remove
>>it, go ahead.
>>
> I invented the web help for *pgsql* help, which depends on the system
> in use, and may change while pgAdmin is still used (I'm using the 7.4
> doc, and will always use the newest). BTW, we should drop a note in
> the doc that some pgAdmin3 options depend on the backend, and may not
> be
> available for older versions.

Yeah, I know - I'm just messin with ya! Seriously though, we need to be
careful about what docs *we* use, and what we say other people should use.
We will never release pgAdmin for an unreleased version of PostgreSQL
(even if it's in feature freeze) - catalogues etc. can change even at the
last minute. We should be sure we absolutely know what versions we are
coding for and make pgAdmin behave appropriately (not that we haven't been
afaik).
> I'll recode pgAdmin help calling as soon as we have agreed where files
> should go for release installs. I'd vote to put them under the existing
> ui/lang_Country directories, parallel to *.mo, but I feel you wouldn't
> like that... Just give me your vote for a better place.

I think share/doc/lang_country in parallel with share/ui/lang_country.
That's where I put them now iirc.
> I haven't worked with HTMLWorkshop before, it's hopefully easy to
> import html files into a htmlws project at a later time. Can you do
> that? I just tried the pgadmin2 help directory under win32 and gtk2
> (wxHtmlHelpController) and it displayed nicely.

Oh right, OK. In that case I'll take a look. Building a chm from htmls is
no problem. Dunno how you reference individual pages though...
> I tend to fix things so fast, that I forget they ever existed :-)
> Therefore, I didn't mention it.

:-)

Regards, Dave