ZFS vs. UFS

From: Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ZFS vs. UFS
Date: 2012-07-24 12:51:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
   Hello,

Under FreeBSD 9, what filesystem should I use for PostgreSQL? (Dell
PowerEdge 2900, 24G mem, 10x2T SATA2 disk, Intel RAID controller.)

  * ZFS is journaled, and it is more independent of the hardware. So if
    the computer goes wrong, I can move the zfs array to a different server.
  * UFS is not journaled. Also I have to rely on the RAID card to build
    the RAID array. If there is a hw problem with it, then I won't be
    able to recover the data easily.

I wonder if UFS has better performance or not. Or can you suggest
another fs? Just of the PGDATA directory.

Thanks,

    Laszlo

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Georgi NaplatanovDate: 2012-07-24 13:03:45