Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-08-24 14:16:38
Lists: pgsql-novice
At 06:51 AM 8/24/04, Kunal wrote:
>I've developed for MySQL before but never used PostgreSQL but am
>interested in doing so. I'll
>probably be giving it a shot myself anyways, but with the newer versions
>of MySQL offering
>features like views, SPs etc., what makes PostgreSQL worth the switch?

What do you mean "newer versions of MySQL offering features like views,
SPs"??  Don't you mean "will be offering"?  These features are still a long
way from production code in MySQL.  Both features are part of 5.0 release.

MySQL 4.1 (first development release) was announced in January 2003 and is
still in beta.
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2003_05.html

The announcement also contains:
 >> Available by the end of 2003, MySQL Version 5.0 will include
 >> features such as stored procedures and triggers.

MySQL 5.0 (alpha developer release) was announced one year later and is
still listed as Alpha.
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2004_02.html

PostreSQL is worth the switch because these and many other features are
available TODAY.  Personally, I compared the two products early in 2000 and
chose PostgreSQL at that time.