Re: icps, shmmax and shmall - Shared Memory tuning

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: dorian dorian <dorian37076(at)yahoo(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: icps, shmmax and shmall - Shared Memory tuning
Date: 2002-04-29 08:38:17
Lists: pgsql-general
At 02:52 PM 4/29/02 +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>I'm not saying it's a good idea. Indeed, people saying all the time it's
>bad. But it is the default. If people don't like then they should set the
>over_commit sysctl off (I forget the exact name).

Can't find anything on it on the Linux doc site (tldp). Any links?

Is it better to turn off overcommit and buy more RAM? That way postgresql
or some other process doesn't get killed?

All along I had the impression that Linux had big probs with its VM (since
2.x) with OOM situations (and not so good impressions of the people in
charge of it), and so it's mainly because of overcommit? Ack.

Thanks,
Link.