installing/running ODBC

From: Laurel Williams <tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: installing/running ODBC
Date: 2001-03-16 18:06:58
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello all,

I know there is a Postgres-ODBC listserv, but I have the feeling this is a
blindingly obvious question and thus this is the best place to put it.

I'm trying to connect to my PostgreSQL database (7.1beta4, running on Red
Hat 6.2) from a Windows client machine. I understand the Windows side of
setting up a DSN, etc. (and the relevant software one needs to download),
but what exactly needs to be running/installed on the Linux side?
PostgreSQL was compiled --with-odbc ... now what? I have read the
documentation in the Programmer's Guide which mentions iODBC/Openlink
Software. When I download the iODBC software, the software seems incomplete
and the documentation is very confusing (as opposed to unixODBC, which
unfortunately I gather is not an option here?). There is a more complicated
commercial-type software from Openlink which is available for small
noncommercial applications--should I be using that instead? It doesn't help
that I am new to ODBC, too, and I feel that I may be missing the point here.

Also, I read a post on the pgsql-odbc list which said that one had to use
both a user and password with ODBC and modify pg_hba.conf. The poster said
"crypt" did not work for them. Should I expect "trust" to work or might
this also encounter problems?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Cheers,

Laurel Williams
tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com
Watertown, MA